Deadlines for Application
- For Enrolment in July (starting with the summer school):
- Early Bird deadline: Applicants who submit their application by 15 March 2019 at the latest and are subsequently admitted to the programme, are eligible for a 10% discount on the tuition fee.
- Application deadline: 1 May 2019.
- For enrolment in September (starting with the EU online courses):
- Application deadline: 1 September 2019.
A university degree equivalent to a Undergraduate degree in Social, Economic or Political Sciences, Business, Law and/or Contemporary History consisting of a programme of at least 180 ECTS.
If your degree is not within these disciplines, relevant work experience in these or related fields may qualify.
The language of instruction for the Programme is English. Non-native English speakers need to provide proof of knowledge of English.
- Proof that you have studied or worked in English
- TOEFL-test [min. score 233 (computer-based) min. score 90 (internet-based) min.score 577 (paper-based)]
- IELTS: 7
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English – CPE
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English – CAE (grade B)
- ITACE (at the VUB) – C1
The tuition fee for the academic year 2019-2020 has been set at:
Full time (1 year track): 3500 EUR
Part time (2-year track): 2100 EUR for year 1 and 1900 EUR for year 2
- The tuition fee covers the students’ enrolment in the postgraduate certificate programme, including their participation in the 5 online EU modules and their attendance at the summer school.
- During the summer school, it also includes daily breakfast in Brussels, daily lunch in Brussels and Vienna, the flight from Brussels to Vienna on Sunday 8 July as well as the study visits.
- It does however NOT cover accommodation, breakfast in Vienna, evening meals and flights to Brussels and from Vienna.
- The summer school organisers can recommend accommodation both in Brussels and in Vienna for the summer school. The participants are however free to take care of their own accommodation arrangements.
Tuition Fee Waivers
Every academic year, the Institute for European Studies can grant a very limited amount of tuition fee waivers, amounting to reduced tuition fees. Please note that the share of the overall tuition fee that can be waived will be 700 EUR maximum. Although these waivers are in general, but not exclusively, granted to prospective students from economically less advanced countries, they will be attributed on the basis of merit and motivation. If you think you may be eligible for such a reduction, you will need to provide:
- a clear motivation letter (to be handed in together with your application)
- a copy of your academic record (transcripts of records,…)
Only candidates that have not been recipients of consistent scholarships in the past are eligible to apply for a waiver.
The applicable cancellation policy depends on whether a student starts this Postgraduate Certificate programme with the Summer School (in July), or with the online courses (in September):
- For students starting the programme with the Summer School (July), the cancellation policy of the Summer School applies. This policy diverges from the September cancellation policy, as Summer School preparation includes the booking of flights, accommodation, etc.
- For students starting the programme with the online courses (September), the following cancellation policy applies: In case of cancellation before the start of the academic year, an administrative fee of €350 will be charged. Cancellations after the start of the academic year but before 1 December will result in an administrative fee of €350 and a reimbursement of 50% of the total tuition fee. Cancellations after 1 December will not be reimbursed.